The coronavirus toll in Italy surpasses 10,000 on Saturday despite a 16-day lockdown.
The 889 new deaths reported in the world’s worst-hit nation. On Friday, it reported 969 deaths in a day the highest single toll since the COVID-19 virus emerged late last year.
Following this, the nation is expected to extend its lockdown which was supposed to last till April 3.
“Is it time to reopen the country? I think we have to think about it really carefully,” civil protection service chief Angelo Borrelli told reporters.
“The country is at a standstill and we must maintain the least amount of activity possible to ensure the survival of all.”
Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte told Italians late Saturday to be ready to spend more time cooped up at home.